
We have lost a dear member of our family, our beautiful dog, Bourbon. Bourbon had been Steve’s family’s dog for fifteen years. She came to live with us in May when we moved into our home, and though she was fading, she still had a lot of life and a lot of love in her.
Steve’s family has shared many memories of Bourbon with me, from her puppyhood forward. She was dear to them, as they were to her. I first met Bourbon on my first date with Steve, and I think I loved her even before I loved him. Over the past four years, she and I grew very close, and she was a sweet, gentle, and intelligent friend. I will always remember the evenings she kept me company while Steve was in class, the times she stole my food (particularly the egg roll she nabbed right off my plate once), and our (slow) walks around our new neighborhood after my surgery this past summer. My family loved her, too. She stayed with my parents a couple times while Steve and I were traveling, and she shared many family dinners at their house with us. She quickly found out that I wasn’t the only pushover when it came to sharing food, but anyone related to me was a pushover as well. Most of all, I will remember how much she loved all of us, and how we could see her love in her eyes.
On November 30th, she began to fade faster, and we had to give her up. It was difficult for all of us, and it has been hard to grow accustomed to life without her. We will all miss her. She was an angel.
"Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
Anatole France
"We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all.
It's the best deal man has ever made." M.Facklam
No comments:
Post a Comment