Wednesday, February 01, 2006

It’s Wedding Season . . . but when is it not?

I never want to see another wedding planning book again.

I have no fewer than three friends working hard planning their weddings for later this year. And for them, and anyone else who has a wedding in her future, I have some tips. Not that I’m an expert, but I’ve been in the trenches, and I survived, so that must be worth something. Plus, I’ve been a card-carrying member of The Wedding Industry, so I’ve seen it from the other side, too.

1. Don’t buy wedding planning books. For one, I have all that you would ever need, and I’d be happy to let you borrow them. Or have them. Or burn them to heat your home. Two, everything you need to know about wedding planning, and more, is on the Internet. Besides, that’s why Borders and Barnes and Noble have coffee shops in their stores – so you can get a Caramel Cappuccino and sit with your stack of wedding planning books (mini-tip, stack them on the floor; they won’t fit on the table all at once) and copy what you need from them.

2. Once you pick something, stop looking. Once you’ve picked a dress, stop looking at dresses. Once you’ve picked invitations, stop looking at invitations. Seems like common sense, doesn’t it? But just because you’ve found something, it doesn’t mean that The Wedding Industry will leave you alone. Skip those pages in the wedding magazines you’ve subscribed to (despite my warning in #1). If you don’t, you’ll end up second-guessing yourself and driving yourself (and your bridesmaids, mothers, etc.) nuts. Instead, focus on finalizing the other details and on making what you have already chosen exactly what you want it to be.

3. Most of all, don’t let The Wedding Industry tell you what you “need” and “must have". Your wedding really is all about you (and, to a lesser extent, your groom -ha ha!). The possibilities are endless, and you have the opportunity to make the wedding whatever you want it. And remember, while it is an important day and should be everything you want it to be, once it’s over, you’ll have other even better things to focus on. It won’t be the only defining moment of your life. Whatever it turns out to be might not be perfect, but if you've made it what you want, it will be perfect for you, and it will make for great memories.


Hmm . . . maybe I'll write a wedding planning book.

1 comment:

  1. so love this. and yes you should. but don't call it a wedding planning book. funny stuff. and oh so true.
    ps you'd be proud of me...I have 3...all mailed to me secondhand (2 of the same title though...what to do about that) and so far the internet has been far more helpful.

    ReplyDelete